My Story: Sharon Blessing

Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 by LEAD

Sharon Blessing, SRCW College


Before joining LEAD, I was quite a reserved person. However, I had lots of energy (but didn't know where to channel it), and I had dreams of becoming an independent woman with her own company and a large network. 

When I was in my 2nd year of college, I attended a LEAD orientation. I watched the LEAD employees, and saw they had a confidence and patience I admired… I wanted to gain the skills they had and be like them. I also saw LEAD as a platform for channelling all my energy I had towards reaching my goals of entrepreneurship and independence.


Since joining LEAD, I have completed 18 projects in total, including working on 13 projects in one month during my first year of LEAD. I therefore won the Most Active Leader award during my local Valedictory in my first year, and this encouraged me to keep going. Since then, I have also won the Best Leader award in the local Valedictory in 2013. 

One of my major projects was a driving license check. I had read many sad stories about accidents and death due to unlicensed drivers, and knew I wanted to do something. After speaking to my parents about my concern, I realized I didn't want to just make people aware… I wanted to do something that would actually make a concrete difference. By completing a survey of driving licenses and giving these statistics to the police, I was able to help the local police to determine some of the drivers in my community without a license who were a possible danger. Through this project, many of the local police and the High District Officer now know my name and who I am, and I feel very proud of my recognition in my community.


Although I feel very good about my accomplishments in LEAD, there have also been challenges. It is difficult when you are taking a leadership position, trying to be innovative, but people oppose you or don't believe in you. However, through LEAD I have become more confident and better understand my true potential, so I know it's important not to let those people discourage me. 

Finally, one of my LEAD accomplishments I feel the most proud of is how many students I have encouraged to join LEAD. Since I became the first student from my college to join LEAD, I have convinced 153 students to join LEAD with my testimonial. My hope is that all of them have a better understanding of their potential through LEAD, just like I have. 

No Response to "My Story: Sharon Blessing"